The cheer of the Christmas Holidays can be ruined by a crime. Every Christmas season marks an increase in home invasions, muggings and purse snatchings.
Here are some tips we hope will help make your Christmas a safe one:
- When you leave home be sure all your locks on doors and windows are locked.
- Don't hide a spare key for others to find.
- If you'll be out later than 5:00, consider leaving a light and/or radio on to give the appearance someone is home.
- When you're shopping hold on to your purse tightly or better still leave the purse home.
- If you do carry a purse, keep you keys separate so if the purse is stolen the thief doesn't get your keys and address as a bonus.
- If you carry a wallet, keep it in a front, inside or zippered pocket. Keep your credit cards and license separate so if the wallet is taken you still have your credit cards and ID.
- Don't flash a big wad of cash in the stores.
- Be alert and walk in well-lighted and high-traffic areas.
- When driving, park in well-lighted areas and keep your doors and windows locked.
- Don't fill the car with newly bought packages and then return to finish the shopping. Take them home and make a second trip. Many thieves can open a trunk faster than you can with your key.
- Buddy shopping provides safety and more fun while shopping.
- Finally, help your neighbors. If you see anything suspicious call the police and do what you can to help, yell, scream, wave to draw others attention. Thieves don't appreciate an audience.
- We wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Max and Snoopy!