"Just ran out to grab the mail!" "The dog or my child pushed the door shut!" "I set my keys down while I picked up my bags!" Whatever the reason, now you're locked out. This never happens at a convenient time.
Now, how do you get back into your house?
Do you try to find a locksmith?
- Find a phone.
- Find a locksmith that can come out right now.
- Wait for the locksmith to arrive.
- Prove that you belong there so the locksmith will open the door.
- Wait as the locksmith tries to open the door. (Which may require destroying the lock.)
- Pay for the emergency service and any replacement parts.
Or, have you prepared for this ahead of time?
- Collect your spare key from the key box and let yourself back in.
- Put spare key back in the key box for next time.
Obviously, hiding a spare key in a sturdy locking box is the simplest solution. It is readily available and difficult to open if you don't know the code. You might want to put an extra car door key in there too.
GE Security Tamper Resistant Combination Keyboxes or Shurlok Key Storage Lock boxes are durable all metal construction with a combination lock you can set to any four digit number you can remember.
As cars get harder to open and lock manufacturers try to make their locks unpickable these locking key boxes make more and more sense.